Dentures – Costa Rica / San Jose
Periodontal (gum) disease, tooth decay or outside trauma can cause tooth loss. The compassionate cosmetic dentists at Clínica Gadea Ramírez understand that having missing teeth can not only be embarrassing, it can also make it difficult to eat or speak. That is why Drs. Gadea, Ramírez and Carvajal offer patients in Costa Rica, dentures to replace missing teeth. Dentures can replace several teeth or all teeth, restoring patients’ warm, welcoming smiles.
More About Dentures
Dentures are removable sets of artificial teeth designed to replace missing teeth. Patients who are missing some teeth usually require partial dentures; those who are missing all of their teeth require a complete set.
Partial dentures. The Clínica Gadea Ramírez dentists typically recommend partial dentures for individuals with some remaining teeth. Partial dentures are removable and are comprised of artificial teeth affixed to a flesh-colored, plastic base. The base, which covers a metal framework, attaches to remaining teeth. Partial dentures help keep the existing teeth from shifting into any empty spaces left by missing teeth.
Complete dentures. For those who are missing all of their teeth, the dentists at Clínica Gadea Ramírez generally recommend complete dentures. Complete dentures are removable and are comprised of a full set of synthetic teeth that are affixed to a metal framework. The framework is covered by a flesh-colored, plastic base. The base sits on top of the gums and is held in place by suction.
Getting fitted for dentures at our Costa Rica dental office typically takes three to six weeks. During this time, patients will need to return to Clínica Gadea Ramírez several times for this multi-step process. Once Dr. Gadea, Dr. Ramírez or Dr. Carvajal determines which type of dental appliance is right for the patient, the general protocol is to:
- Make a series of molds, or impressions, of the jaw and measure the patient’s bite. The dentist then sends these impressions to a laboratory where a lab technician creates a wax model of the needed denture(s).
- The Costa Rica dentists at Clínica Gadea Ramírez can make a temporary, or “immediate,” denture for the patient to wear while waiting for the wax model and subsequent final denture to arrive.
- Once a wax model of the patient’s needed denture(s) is made and sent to Clínica Gadea Ramírez, the patient returns to the office and tries it on. The dentist assesses the fit, shape and color. He then sends this appropriately adjusted wax model back to the laboratory, where a lab technician makes the final denture.
- Once Clínica Gadea Ramírez receives the final denture(s), the patient will return to the office for a fitting.
- During the fitting, the dentist will adjust the final denture(s) as needed. This step may require multiple visits to get a perfect fit.
Getting used to wearing complete or partial dentures may take some time. During this adjustment period, patients may need to practice speaking and eating while wearing dentures. At first, those wearing dentures may feel as though the appliance is bulky or loose, but these feelings are normal and will subside with time. Although dentures may feel different than natural teeth, they are fully functional and resemble natural teeth. The Clínica Gadea Ramírez dentists or staff will provide instructions regarding how to care for dentures at home.
To schedule an appointment to learn more about dentures at Clínica Gadea Ramírez, please contact us today.